The Social Welfare and Development Learning Network (SWD L-Net) was established through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) by virtue of Administrative Order 20 s. 2005 or the Establishment of SWD L-Net.
There are twofold reasons for the creation of the network. Foremost, is the shift of the DSWD mandate from direct service provider to enablers of intermediaries requires provision of technical assistance to include capability building of intermediaries to ensure quality service delivery. Second, the SW IDB is responsible for the establishment of networks and linkages and recognizes the vital role of its partners namely the GOs, LGUs and NGOs in meeting the growing demands for capability building, and shall maximize the existing resources in the environment through a network of learning institutions.
With such mandate, the SWD L- Net envisions a learning network providing accessible, relevant, quality Social Welfare & Development (SWD) capacity building programs. Its mission is to enhance the capacity of organizations, groups & individuals that are engaged in poverty alleviation & social protection.
Corresponding the aforementioned vision-mission statement are the tripartite objectives, as follows:
1. To establish a self-regulating learning network where members and SWD constituencies can provide & avail of quality SWD capacity building programs
2. To access SWD constituencies to quality capacity building programs
3. To sustain the functionality & viability of the learning network to ensure available, accessible & quality capacity building programs to constituencies & clientele
The network covers organizations, agencies, schools and individuals providing and conducting training & related capacity building programs on social welfare & development primarily on poverty alleviation and social protection in the country. Subsequently, its target members are organizations, agencies, schools and individuals providing capacity building programs on social welfare and development. The diagram below explains the operation and management of the network.
In Western Visayas, the following direction was set during the organization of the network: Establishment of Community of Learners/Resource Pool and Establishment of Knowledge Resource Center. Its basis of unity is anchored on the principles of sustainable development and community empowerment, explicitly stated as “Learning as a pathway to sustainable welfare and development”
In the context of region, the following vision-mission statement and goals were formulated.
Vision: A learning environment where stakeholders generate, access, share and exchange knowledge and practice on sustainable social welfare and development for an improved quality of life.
Mission: To promote easy exchange of knowledge and practices among stakeholders through creation of efficient and effective systems and process and community learning centers as models for innovative approaches and sustainable SWD practices
1. To establish functional Regional SWD Knowledge Resource Center;
2. To Popularize SWDL-Net as a venue for sharing resources and promoting best SWD practices;
3. To maintain community of learners for the exchange of knowledge and experiences among stakeholders;
4. To develop technical resource pool: advocacy; disaster risk reduction and management; Gender & development; health & nutrition; management – innovative processes PDIME; community organizing; organizational development;
Next post: Composition of the Western Visayas SWD L- Net and the corresponding action plan.